Time: 20 minutes.
Sour-pepper soup (酸辣汤) is a traditional Chinese soup cuisine, where its root could be found from Sze Chuan (川菜) and Hunan dishes (湘菜) today. There is four essentials in this dish: sour (酸), spicy (辣), fresh (鲜) and fragrant (香). The soup is simple to make, without needing to go through all the trouble of preparing soup broth, yet being absolutely (and quite ridiculously) tasty.
The soup is suitable to consume after food, especially if you had something heavy or oily. Not only it improves digestion, it is also effective in curing hangover. Recommend someone this recipe when he or she does not have appetite.
The significance of this simple traditional soup is vast, as proven in year 2015 where Chinese President Xi served Indian Prime Minister Modi during a summit as part of the National Banquent menu.
- 100 g thinly sliced pork bellies
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 tofu, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 600 ml water
- [Adjust to taste] Chinese white vinegar
- [Adjust to taste] White pepper
- Some freshly chopped coriander
- 1 beaten medium egg
- Corn starch solution
- [Optional] A grab of vermicelli, cut into 1 cm length
1. Thinly slice the pork bellies, carrot and tofu. Heat up the wok with some oil. Put it the pork and saute for around 3 minutes. Add in the carrots and continue the saute process for another 3 minutes.
2. The carrot will soften and turn slightly yellow. Drizzle in the soy sauce for the side of the wok. Make a few strokes and pour in 600 ml water. Bring them to a small boil and add in the vermicelli. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. Prepare some corn starch solution. Slowly add them into the soup and allow the broth to thicken. Pour in the tofu and boil for 1 minute.
4. Beat an egg and add them into the soup. Allow the egg to cook for around 1 minute and serve the soup into a bowl.
5. Sprinkle a generous amount of sesame oil, white vinegar and white pepper onto the soup. Finish garnishing with chopped coriander. Adjust these ingredients to taste.
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!