Time: 15 minutes.
Potato curry (or Aloo Sabzi) is a light Indian curry dish commonly served as a side dish. Although it is usually served with poori (Indian fried bread) as breakfast, it can be also served with roti or biryani. This vegan curry is very simple and quick to make. If you follow this recipe closely, it is even possible to omit the onion and tomato without affecting much of its authenticity.
- 2 medium potatoes
- [Optional] 1 medium onion, diced
- [Optional] 1/2 medium tomato, diced
- 2 green chillies, split into halves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida / hing
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 dry mango powder
1. Skin and cut the potatoes into small pieces. Microwave them at 700W for around 5 minutes till they are soft. Prepare the other ingredients in the mean time.
2. Heat the pan with 3 tbs oil. Fry the onions, chillies, cumin seeds and hing for around 3 minutes over a medium flame till the fragrance are released.
3. Add in the tomatoes. Saute from around a minute and pour in the boiled potatoes. Saute for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle in all the spices and mix well.
4. Pour in 2 cups of water. Simmer for around 5 minutes.
6. Mashed the potato. Serve it as a side dish with poori, roti canai or biryani.
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!