Time: 30 minutes.
Poon Choi (盆菜) is a Cantonese dish being eaten during special occasions, such as moving into a new home, starting a temple or Chinese New Year. In Malaysia, the Chinese descendants has been following this tradition since it was first invented centuries ago. Different from their Cantonese origin, Malaysian Chinese serve this dish (almost exclusively) during Chinese New Year. Another similar foreign dish with similar concept would be the Japanese osechi (御節) on their New Year.
Ingredients in Poon Choi are usually cooked and boiled in a pot of water or stock. However, we will not be doing the traditional way today and will be frying instead. We are teaching you our own personal, quick, easy and delicious family Poon Choi recipe which can be prepared under 30 minutes.
Ingredients (for 5 pax):
- 5 sea scallops
- 5 broccoli
- 5 abalones
- 5 large prawns
- 5 Chinese shiitake (donggu/冬菇)
- [Optional] Button mushrooms
- 5 big slices of sea cucumber
- 5 big slices of fried swim bladder (鱼鳔)
- 1 tbs oyster sauce
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs abalone sauce
- 200 ml water
- Some butter
- Some chopped garlic
- Some ginger slices
- Corn starch solution
1. Melt some butter in the pan. Lightly pan fry the scallops for 4 minutes on both sides. Season with some salt during the process.
2. Remove excess oil from the pan. Add in some oil and pan fry the mushrooms and prawns. You may add few slices of ginger when frying the prawns. In a separate pot, boil the broccoli in boiling hot water.
3. Melt some butter again and saute some chopped garlic. Mix in mixture of oyster sauce, soy sauce, abalone sauce and water. Add in the sea cucumber, fried swim bladder slices and button mushrooms. Cook for around 5 minutes. Do not overcook them. Take them out immediately before they start to shrink. Thicken the sauce with corn starch solution.
4. Next thing to do is just basically arrange them nicely in a big, fancy bowl. Pour the sauce into the bowl. Serve them with your loved ones!
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!