Time: 20 minutes.
It is succulent, it is creamy, it is crispy. It is the oatmeal butter prawn!
The oatmeal butter prawn has remained a mystery to me for quite some time. My mother, nor any other relatives, has ever make this dish at home. I only had the chance to eat it when dining in restaurants or coffee shops. If it’s not because one of our fellow viewer, Sumin, who requested for this recipe, god knows how long is it going to take me to remember this delicious dish.
As always, if you have any recipe you would like to see, please do not hesitate and contact me via the comment or email.
- 12-14 medium prawns, shells on
- 1 tbs all-purpose-flour
- 1 tbs corn starch
- 2 red chillies, diced
- 1 cup of instant oatmeal
- 20 curry leaves
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp chicken powder
- 50 g butter
1. Clean and devein the prawns. Careful not to make remove the shells during the process. Trim the legs as well. Season the prawns with some salt.
2. Add in a beaten egg and mix well. Then, sprinkle in flour and mix them well again. Coat the prawns with corn starch, you may add more corn starch if deem necessary. Sieving the flour and corn starch beforehand would give a much more refined texture on the prawns.
3. Heat a pan with enough oil to 180°C. Make sure you could submerged the entire prawns in the oil during the frying process. Add in the prawns into the pan one by one. Fry them for around 3-4 minutes and put aside to drain off excess oil.
4. Now, prepare the curry leaves, chillies and instant oatmeal. Mix the instant oatmeal with sugar, salt and chicken powder. Heat up the pan with some butter.
5. When the butter melted, put in the curry leaves and chillies and saute them. Then follow up with adding oatmeals and stir fry till brown and crispy.
6. Add in the fried prawns, give them a quick saute and serve on a flat plate. Eat the prawns with some tomato ketchup or chilli sauce.
What do you think of this recipe? Comment below and share them with us!