Time: 30 minutes.
Budget: Relatively low.
Mashed potato, also known as the Mash, is first created as a side dish in the United Kingdom. A popular British way of eating mashed potato is eating them together with a brown coloured gravy. Mashed potato is commonly served with sausages on a breakfast plate, also known as “bangers and mash”. Mashed potato is my favourite potato dish, even surpassing the French fries. This dish could be eaten with or without the gravy (British way), or with the Beef Bourguigon (French way).
There are many other ways to make the perfect mashed potato, but today I will be introducing a quick, easy recipe of the most basic and traditional British mashed potato.
- 4 medium potatoes, cut randomly into smaller size
- Some salt
- 30 g of butter
- 4 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder [Skip if unavailable]
- 2 tbs water
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp flour
- 1/4 dried rosemary
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in 1 tsp salt and the potatoes and boil for 10 minutes.
2. Pour out the potatoes and filter off excess water with a sieve. Do not rinse the potatoes with water. The potatoes should be soft enough to be squash with bare hands or a fork.
3. There are a couple to ways to mash the potatoes. The easiest, energy-efficient way would be a potato masher or food mill. However, in this recipe I am going to use the cheapest utensil – a sieve. Mashing potato using a sieve gives a finer and smoother texture, albeit you need to train up your muscle a little for the job.
4. Heat up 10 g of butter in the pan. Pour in our mashed potato and stir them on a low heat. Gradually add in butter during the stirring process. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Move the mashed potato onto a plate when it is smooth and creamy. You may also eat this with Beef Bourguigon like a French!
5. Next, we move on to the making of the sauce. Again, heat up the pan with 5 g of butter and add in the remaining ingredients. Stir well for around 3-5 minutes and add in the flour to thicken the sauce. Pour it gently onto your mashed potato and it is ready to be serve!
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!