Time: 25 minutes.
Sze Chuan food has become more and more popular in the recent decades. The usage of Sze Chuan pepper (花椒) not only gives a fragrant and spicy taste but also generate an iconic numbness to your tongue. For those who still hasn’t had the chance to try this Sze Chuan pepper, this may come as a little surprise for you – but they are actually very pleasant and highly addictive.
Sze Chuan Hot Pot (水煮牛肉), Mapo Tofu (麻婆豆腐) and Beef Noodles (牛肉面) are among the big names when it comes to Sze Chuan dishes. Today we are going to introduce a more family-style Sze Chuan dish which are equally yummy – Hot Pepper Chicken (麻辣香鸡). Incorporating with the infamous Sze Chuan pepper, this chicken dish also uses traditional five spice powder to add an additional level of spiciness and aroma to them.
- 600 g chicken drumlets / drumstick
- 1 tbs Sze Chuan pepper, crushed
- 1/2 tbs chilli powder
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
1. Clean and dry the chicken. Carefully coat them with all the spices and sauces mentioned above. Marinate for at least 30 minutes. Overnight will be best.
2. Add about 3 tbs of oil into a pan over a medium flame. Fry the chicken till their exterior turn brown. This process takes about 5 minutes.
3. Now pour in 200 ml of water. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 15 minutes till fully cooked.
4. Turn on to high heat and evaporate all the gravy. Stir the chicken in the mean time and coat them with the remaining gravy. Serve them while hot!
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!