Time: 20 minutes.
WARNING: DO NOT CLICK ON THIS POST IF YOU ARE ON A DIET!
Got tired of the conventional curry chicken? Want to try to fry something instead? Why not make a deep fried version of curry chicken? I am not a huge fan of frying stuff, but with this dish, I could always make an exception!
This Nyonya dish is usually made with chicken drumlets and served together with chilli sauce. This dish is commonly made by my grandmother when I visited her, together with the sweet and scrumptious stir-fried jicama. Different from the infamous Kentucky Fried Chicken, this spiced fried chicken releases an even stronger, tasty, curry-ful aroma that would stimulate your appetite no matter how hard you try to go on a diet!
- 400 g chicken breast, cut into bite-sized
- 4 tbs corn flour
- 1 medium egg
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder (Adjust for spiciness)
- Some chopped curry leaves / spring onions
- 1 tsp salt
- [Optional] 2 tsp curry powder
- [Optional] Lime
1. Start off by first mixing the corn flour, salt, turmeric powder, curry powder and chilli powder.
2. Cut your chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks. Pour in the mixed powder. Beat an egg and mix thoroughly. A light massage on the chicken during the marinating process would allows the flavour to diffuse in easily. You may also use chicken drumlets here.
3. Put it the chopped spring onions / curry leaves. Mix well and marinate it for at least 20-30 minutes. Marinate overnight if you time.
4. Allow the marinated chicken to go back to room temperature. Heat up a pot of oil to 180°C. Put it your chicken one by one. Careful not to let them stick to each other! Fry the chicken for around 7 minutes until golden brown. Chicken drumlets may take longer.
5. Take the chicken out and raise the temperature to 200°C. Fry the chicken for the second time for 3 more minutes. This step is important so that it gives more long-lasting crips on the outside. Then take the chicken out and walla! Your fried curry chicken is done!!
Crispy on the outside, juicy in the inside! You may sprinkle some lime juice over them or dip them with some chilli sauce. The choice are yours to make!
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!