Time: 40 minutes.
Ahh… The infamous Italian mushroom soup! It is also the first soup in Western dishes that I ever come across and is one of the reason I become less picky on mushrooms. In Malaysia, due the heavy influence of British culture, the mushroom soup is commonly served as an appetizer just after salad.
That bowl of soup—it was dearer than freedom, dearer than life itself, past, present, and future.”Alexander Solzhenitsyn, One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich
Soup is the essence of a meal in Western culture. It is hard to imagine having a proper meal without a bowl of soup. If you are a fan of garlic, feel free to add in more of them in the recipe. Or, if you are a hardcore garlic lover, why not try our simple garlic soup recipe?
- 400 g button mushrooms
- 40 g Shiitake mushrooms
- 2 small potatoes
- 1 leek
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 600 ml water
- 200 ml vegetable broth
- 50 g butter
- Some freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper
- [Optional] 100 ml heavy cream
1. Thinly slice the mushrooms, potatoes, leek, onion and garlic. The finer you slice them, the lesser time you need to cook and blend time.
2. Heat up a large pot with 30 g butter. Add in the leeks, onions and garlic. Sweat them over medium heat for 2 minutes. Keep stirring so that they do not get burnt!
3. When the vegetables turn semi-translucent, pour in the potato and thyme. Mix well and pour in the vegetable broth. Simmer them on a gentle heat.
4. On a separate frying pan, heat up some oil and toss the mushrooms for around 3 minutes. Transfer them all into the soup (You may leave some aside for later too). Add 600 ml water into the pot and bring it to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. You may add 100 ml of heavy cream at the end of the simmering process.
5. Blend all the soup and pour them back into the pot. Add in the remaining mushrooms and simmer for around 3 minutes. Put in the remaining butter and stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in some fresh parsley and hey presto! Your cream of mushroom is done!
What do you think about this recipe? Comment below and share it with us!