Time: 20 minutes.
Sensational is perhaps the only single word that is barely sufficient to describe this dish.The Malaysian Shokutaku @ 191224
Chilli Crab – one of the most popular Chinese crab dish in Malaysia, is ranked 17th as the most delicious food in the world. Also known as Singaporean Chilli Crab, this dish have such an appetizing sauce that you just could not stop eating it with rice! As far the word “chilli” is concern, this dish hardly qualifies as a spicy Malaysian dish. The integration of sweetness from the crab and the stimulating sauce, complements each other in terms of aroma and texture. This is the dish that do not just appear stimulating to the tongue, but your entire senses which start going crazy with this utterly magnificent Malaysian cuisine.
As famous and as complex the dish might sound, this is basically just a simple 3-step recipe that could be completed in a mere 20 minutes! Cook it by yourself now!
[For another crab recipe, check out our Chinese Ginger Scallion Crab recipe]
- 1 kg of crabs, cut in halves
- 2 tbs chopped garlic
- 2 tbs chopped ginger
- 2 tbs chopped shallots
- 2 tbs chopped spring onions
- 2 – 4 chopped chillies
- 4 tbs chilli sauce
- 4 tbs tomato ketchup
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs oyster sauce
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 small beaten egg
- Some corn starch
- Salt and white pepper
1. There are only 3 steps in this recipe: Frying the crabs, preparing the sauce, stir-fry the crabs and sauce.
2. Diced the garlic, ginger, shallot, spring onions and chillies. Prepare the sauce by mixing chilli sauce, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, oyster sauce and sugar.
3. Chopped the crabs into halves. Remove anything that is not meat and inedible. Then, dip the crab into corn starch by coating the meaty part.
4. Heat up the pan with around 3-4 tbs of oil. Lightly fry the crabs for around 5 minutes. The crabs will turn white after some time. Drain excess oil and put them aside for later use.
5. Now we move on to prepare the sauce. Using the same pan, saute the shallots, garlics, gingers and chillies until they turn brown. Put in the spring onions and do a few strokes before pouring in the sauce.
6. When the sauces start to boil, pour in a beaten egg. Let it cook for around a minute and then continue stirring the sauce. Now, add in the fried crabs and start stir frying again.
6. When the crabs are cooked, thicken the sauce with corn starch solution. Mix well and then serve them with piping-hot white rice!
What do you think about this recipe? Comment below and share them with us!