Time: 15 minutes.
WARNING:– myshoku @ 191117
This recipe is so simple that this is probably my shortest post so far.
Eggs, such a versatile ingredient, when fall in the right hands could be made into thousands of dishes. This is exceptionally true when it comes to the Japanese. The chawanmushi, also known as Japanese steamed eggs, not only manage to preserve the natural taste of egg in this dish, but was able to utilize other ingredients to enhance the flavour of the egg – one of the many things Japanese are very good at.
I am aware that there are several other ways to make a chawanmushi, but in this recipe you are going to be introduced a quick, yet fool-proof recipe for your busy morning.
The golden rule of making a chawanmushi is a mixture of egg and dashi (broth) at a ratio of 1:3. Follow this rule carefully and you would never fail this recipe. You may, of course, add in some cooked chicken, thinly sliced carrots, shiitake mushrooms or kamabuko (Japanese fish cake) if you want a more authentic version.
Ingredients (For 1 serving)
- 1 egg (usually around 50ml)
- 150 ml of dashi (Japanese broth)
- Dashes of salt
1. Ready all the ingredients above. Break the egg and pour in the dashi. Season with a little salt. Beat the egg mixture, careful not to aerate the egg too much.
2. Filter the beaten egg mixture with a sieve to give a smooth texture (and bubble-free!). Pour the mixture into a bowl or tea cups that can withstand the boiling process. Seal it with an aluminium foil. Boil some water and steam the egg for 12 minutes.
3. If you would like to add in some other ingredients (e.g. thinly-sliced carrots), steam the eggs for only 7 minutes, add in the ingredients and steam for another 5 minutes.
4. Open the lid, take out your eggs and serve it with a spoon. You could have the chawanmushi with some Japanese tea if you like.
I enjoy having my chawanmushi plain (Japanese eggs taste great even on their own!). I eat my egg with a glass of my daily Slimming Smoothies. I had been on a diet and drink this for the past 50 days. I actually slimmed down by 7 kg in this duration. So, I guess you could say this recipe work. Check out my delicious and healthy slimming smoothies recipe here!
What do you think of the recipe? Comment below and share it with us!