Time: 15 minutes.
Fellow viewers, we heard you! Many of you asked for a quick and halal version of Chinese BBQ Pork (叉烧). Therefore, we decided to present this Char siu Chicken recipe specially for you today! The char siu chicken has a totally different tenderness and juiciness – different from the original pork version. However, these differences did not affect the harmony of meat and marinated spices – producing a similar, yet different dish without altering the original meaning and tradition of the making of char siu.
- 1 boneless chicken thigh (300 g)
- 1 tbs oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- [Optional] 1 tbs hoisin sauce
- Mix all the sauces and spices in a bowl. Pour the marinate onto the chicken and marinate for at least an hour. Overnight is best.
2. Heat up the oven using a medium flame (180°C). Grill the marinated chicken for 7 minutes on each side.
3. In order to give the chicken it dark (char siu-like) colours, mix in 1 tsp of dark soy sauce with 1 tbs of honey. Lightly brush the sauce onto the chicken skin (face-up) and grill it for another 2 – 3 minutes.
4. Now take the chicken out and slice it into smaller sizes. Serve it with steamed hot rice. You may also boil some broccoli or kai lan for a more nutritious meal.
What do you think about this recipe? Comment below and share them with us!