Time: 1 hr.
Braised Pork (红烧肉) is a classic dish found in most Chinese restaurants. The most significant part of this dish is the bright-reddish colour of the pork bellies. Aroma from the Chinese spices brings life to the sweet, delicate sauce. The bellies are smooth and cook to the perfect softness.
Despite having a relatively long cooking hour, this dish isn’t that difficult to make at all. Besides 45 minutes of simmering time, one only need to do some light frying before and after the simmering time. This dish is perfect for audiences who are interested in a classy Chinese feast!
色泽红亮、味道香浓、软烂滑润、肥而不腻。Key points of this dish; extracted from 美食天下
- 1 whole pork belly, with skin
- 4 slices of ginger
- 2 tbs rock sugar
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 laurel
- 2 star anise
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 grab of spring onion
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce
1. Start by placing the pork belly in a wok of water, turn up the heat and cook for 5 minutes. Drain off the water and cut them into chunks. Prepare the other ingredients at the same time.
2. Heat up the wok with some oil. Saute the pork for around 3 minutes till golden brown.
3. Drain off the oil from the pork and put aside. Saute the star anise, cinnamon sticks, laurel and ginger slices for about 1 minute. Put the pork back in and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
4. Pour in the dark soy sauce and soy sauce. Mix well till all the pork are covered with the sauce. Pour in enough water that could immersed everything in it. Add in eggs, spring onion and rock sugar. Simmer over medium flame for 45 minutes.
5. At the end of 45 minutes, the broth had dried up and started to thickens. Remove all the spices and spring onion. Take out the eggs and place them on the serving plate first. Turn on the heat and saute everything. Pour them on a plate and serve while hot!
6. There you go! A classic Chinese restaurant dish – Braised Pork (红烧肉).
What do you think of this recipe? Comment below and share them with us!