Time: 2 hour 15 minutes.
As far as I could tell you, the 2 hour is the cooking time without doing anything. This recipe is utterly easy. It just takes some time to soften the meat. Prepare this in a large pot and you could eat this for a couple of meals if you like (This is a 4 servings recipe).
Unlike Sze Chuan Hot Pot (水煮牛肉) or Japanese Ramen (ラーメン), beef noodles has been going under the spotlight most of the time. Beef noodles have spicy, sweet soy-based broth which comes from cooking the beef for a lengthy period of time. The beef are extremely tender – to the extend that it literally just melt away in your mouth. The noodles are cook to perfection such that they remain tangy and tasty.
- 400 g lean beef (Pork works too)
- 5 dried chillies
- [Optional] A handful of Chinese peppers (花椒)
- 1 small onions, finely diced
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 20 ml dark soy sauce
- 2 star anises
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbs doubanjiang (豆瓣酱)
- Chinese cabbage (小白菜)
1. Cut the beef into long, thick slices. Put them in boiling water to remove the impurities in them. Drain the water immediately.
2. Saute the dried chillies and Chinese pepper under low flame for around 8 minutes till the fragrance are released. Add in the diced onions and saute till transparent. This process should take about 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the beef and turn up the heat. Saute them for around 3 minutes before pouring in warm water. The water amount should be just enough to cover the meat.
4. Pour in soy sauce, dark soy sauce, doubanjiang, star anises and cinnamon stick. Season with salt and simmer for at least 2 hours.
5. After 2 hours, the broth would be reduced and the beef are softened to an unbelievable texture. It would literally melt away in your mouth! Boil the noodles and Chinese cabbage now.
6. Arrange them nicely in a bowl. Pour the broth and meat on top of your noodle. Your delicious beef noodles is now done!
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!