Time: 30 minutes.
First and foremost, I am not sure if there is such a dish in Indonesia or not. However, it is definitely being served in some stalls in Malaysia. Ayam Sambal Bali is made with chicken braised in sambal (Chilli paste) over low flame. The end product is plate of juicy chicken, with a aromatic, sweet, sour and spicy chilli sambal that goes perfectly with rice.
- 500 g chicken drumlets
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 medium onion
- 3 inch ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp blended lemongrass
- 1 piece palm sugar (Brown sugar as replacement)
- 2 tbs sweetened soy sauce (kicap manis)
- 1 tbs chilli paste (Cili kisar)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- [Optional] Extra chilli powder
1. Blend onion, ginger, garlic and lemongrass together into a paste. Season the chicken with turmeric and salt. Fry the chicken on both sides for about 7 minutes till the exterior are cooked. Put aside.
2. Heat the pan with a generous amount of oil. Add in the blended paste, curry leaves and cili kisar. Stir fried for 7 minutes till oil splits.
3. Put the chicken back in the pan. Pour in soy sauce, palm sugar and 100 ml water. Occasionally stir the chicken and simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Garnish with some red chillies. Serve them with rice while hot!
What do you think of our recipe? Comment below and share them with us!